Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Have a Cow!

Well, I'd like to admit upfront that I have no idea what the future holds. Don't we sometimes think we do? Well, I'd suggest we do think we know, because of all the plans that we make...we must be assuming something. But then how often are plans derailed, or a new path shown? The answer to that, in my case, is "more often than not". But that's cool....I'm okay with that.

Here are some plans of mine that never did manifest into reality in my life:

1. I was going to marry Paul Story, the love of my life. He was killed in a car accident. (Derailed)
2. I tried to join the Air Force when Spencer was very young. They wanted me, but God allowed Spencers father to serve as a road block in that plan. That plan was supposed to help me provide for Spencer and secure a college scholarship for myself. (Derailed).
3. I wanted to open a children's clothing store several years ago. I couldn't come up with the funds. (Derailed)

Here are a few realities that I never planned:

1. Joe and I never intended to have children when we got married. God changed both our hearts after the first year. (New path).
2. I never intended to work in Real Estate as a full time career. Through an involutary job change and the needs of my children....it became a necessity. (New path)
3. I planned on giving birth to perfectly healthy, "normal" children. (New path)


I look back on the plans I had that were derailed. I'll be honest.....I've never been blessed through the loss of Paul. I'd have him be alive and well right this minute. But I can say that being forced to let go of a love, and being forced to KNOW that tomorrow isn't promised, has made me stronger, and more realistic. The other derailments were total blessings. The childrens' clothing store for example.....if I had to be tied to a retail business today I'd be miserable, and I thank God that He didn't allow my strong will to win that battle.

The new paths have been incredible blessings as well.....in such monumental proportions that I cannot describe them in words. I love having these tots in my house. I love that Shawn is "special" and I completely appreciate the career that I have. If I were to thank God a million times a day, it would not be enough.

I'm in the process of making another plan. I do not know if it will be in accordance with God's will, if it will be "derailed", or if we will be shown a "new path" instead. I'd love to sell our house next year and buy something on a piece of land where we could have a horse and a cow. I have always always forever and a day, I have wanted a horse. I always will. Joe wants a cow. I know....whatever.....but if I get a horse then he should have a cow. I'm excited that my dear friend Pam has horses, lives nearby, and is willing to teach me how to take care of them....so that I can know for sure if that is something I can handle. I just think it would be great fun for the family...and depending on what God provides, might even be fun for the community. We shall see. For this to happen for our family, we would most likely move into a tiny house and sleep in bunk beds....but I don't really care. : ) I wonder how this will turn out.

7 comments:

Melissa Irwin said...

When I read my own post, I realized I should clarify something. I would NOT trade Joe for Paul.... but I would have Paul be alive if I could.

Anonymous said...

mmm think of all the dairy delights Joe could make from his cow's milk. I am already dreaming of the homemade ice cream! Yeah.. I can so relate to God steering us down paths we would never have imagined. For example, I'm a city girl and would never have thought I would end up in Fairview, TN! Love it! Proverbs 19:21 says Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails. Thank God for that, because he knows what's best! Hope your horse dream becomes a reality soon!

Anonymous said...

I have learned, as you have read that we are not promised anything. We take the good and the bad and the ugly in life and sit back and wonder what if, why. And then, we think of the good memories, the now times, the future times and live life.

Melissa Irwin said...

Holly - we'll have you over for ice cream when the cow is on the farm!

Polly - while life involves a lot of painful and unexpected derailments, I hope yours is balanced with immeasurable joy. (I hope that for everyone).

Brad Ruggles said...

Isn't it crazy how the plans in our life change? I'm so thankful that God knows what is best for me and doesn't always let me choose what I think is best.

Jenn said...

God is good...it amazes me how I could never have planned my life the way that it's turned out so far...so many struggles, so many "turns", yet He always takes me to the place where I need to be the most!

And guess what? I totally want a house with land and a horse...I think cows, chickens, a rooster (just cause I love their loudness) would be great. But, I totally freak if I see a spider, mouse or heaven forbid another rodent...what will I do on a farm. I dunno...but I think it would be fun!

mandy said...

beautiful post...