Saturday, August 23, 2008

Feelin It - The Kenny Loggins Concert at Wildhorse Saloon in Nashville, TN

One of my favorite things to do in the whole world is to sit in a music venue and enjoy incredible music and musicianship. The energy does something to me that nothing else can quite accomplish. I love the true artist....one who writes music and lyrics, sings, and also plays an instrument. Throughout my life, I have always identified my favorite artists this way, naturally. Something about it all connects. When a person writes, sings and plays a song....they birthed it...and for me, it's a phenomenal process.

I love acoustic guitar and piano. But I also love percussion. I love the voice. I love the lyrics. It blows me away at times when I hear some religious people suggest that music is sinful (by its very nature). David sang and danced in the Old Testament, songs inspired by God himself. And David was a man after God's own heart.

Last night, my mom and went to see/hear/experience Kenny Loggins perform live at the Wildhorse Saloon. It was UH-MAY-ZING! He changed guitars on every song, and sometimes during songs. They jammed for extended periods of time. His voice was perfection. To this day, 2 of my favorite all time songs just happen to be his, "Celebrate Me Home" and "Conviction of the Heart". He sang both, so for me, Heaven was on earth in the Wildhorse saloon for a little while. His voice is like an instrument, finely tuned.

A few years ago, my cool husband catered an event in Nashville where I got to hang out in the green room with Kenny Loggins and Michael McDonald. They were busy being normal, but bigger than life in the center of it all, and I was hard at work holding up one of the walls. Two of my favorites, feet away....and all I could do was hold up the wall. I never have been one to approach the stars, even though I have had many opportunities. Last night I thought, one day Kenny is gonna wake up dead and I'm gonna cry like a baby (unless I wake up dead first). I'm so happy that I got to see him perform live again. He's the real deal......oozing talent and incredible musicianship. WOW. What a great night in Nashville, Tennessee.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

kenny loggins is one of my absolute heros (musically). so, i'm trying to be a sappy teddy bear (anne's blog)and mr christian by helping hungry families - and you and your hubs cause me to sin!!! it's called jealousy!

oh that's right...i sinned, not you! thanks for donating - please pray for my redemption

Melissa said...

awesome!! I so get that feeling...awe, but so much more. And I agree about musicians who do it all--something truly amazing about people with that sort of gift.