Monday, January 12, 2009

Tender Mommy'ness

Kissing the boo-boo's. It's a common thang'round'here. For whatever reason....Shawn thinks it is okay to walk forward while looking backward. You can imagine...... we have lots of little dents in our walls. The cute thing though is....he's just watching us......he loves us. But it isn't exactly gonna get him to where he wants to go....safely.

Asher is 4 years old, but his "hurt cry" is very infantile. Man....that boy can really rack up the bruises in a short period of time. He has nearly lost an ear, 2 or 3 times this week. If I kiss it anymore I'm gonna swallow ear wax.......ooooooohhhh, okay that was gross and uncalled for. I apologize.

This thing happens to me when they get hurt. If there is a genuine hurt cry involved, I feel my upper lip shape into some grotesque expression, my eyes squint, and my nose sniffs. I cannot truly describe it......but it hurts me more than I can explain. And of course, I'm the kind of mommy that comes running for the "authentic" cry. They are 2 and 4. It works. They need me and want me and I'm so glad they are still so small. On the other hand....Spencer has had some boo-boo's lately that I just cannot mend. I would do anything. A.N.Y.T.H.I.N.G....but there isn't much I can do. I cannot pick him up and hold him. I cannot kiss the hurts away. I cannot replace the feelings of sadness with gallons of chocolate or promises of a trip to the playground.

They grow up. Hurts happen. Some last for a long time. One day....you can't wipe the tears away and you can't make it all better. I trust my children to the God of this universe and the God of my heart and soul. I know they are in His hands. All we can really do is give them to God.

Sometimes being a mommy just hurts. It's worth it. But, ouch! ouch

No comments: