Friday, November 28, 2008

My Mind

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday.

I haven't had much to say lately......as you have probably noticed. I'm leaving for Africa in one week, and I'm trying to get extra hugs and kisses in with Asher and Shawn before I leave. Every time I hold one of them, I am really taking a moment to soak in how they feel and smell. This morning Shawn woke up at 4am crying, most likely teething pains. I snatched him out of bed and brought him to bed with me. (Joe had already left for work). We snuggled together awake for over an hour. He kept touching my nose and my hair. I made faces at him while we were scrunched together on my pillow, and he'd giggle. Sometimes he would just suck his thumb and stare at me. He is really becoming a little boy. I can't believe he'll be 2 years old in December. I wish he could talk.....as I know he would have so much to say. I believe he will, someday. Asher joined us around 7am. We turned on the Disney channel with Asher snuggled against my chest and Shawn near my bent knees. Asher was rubbing Shawns' back while they both watched Mickey Mouse. They are so naturally, brothers. I can't believe I'll wake up in Africa 14 days in a row without one of my babies snuggling with me. That, by far, is the hard part.

I also am beginning to realize how much I will miss my husband. Our lives are so much about the boys and we do not take much time for each other....but I very much value his presence, his smile, and his dedication to our family. He is not just your average Joe. My Joe is special. He works without complaining. He cooks most of our dinners. He readily helps with any chore I request, and even does some without prompting. He gives our boys most of their nighttime baths, and he's not afraid of a poopy diaper. He happily lets me run off to an occasional dinner with a girlfriend, and gladly let's me escape off to the horses when I need. He never yells. He never complains. He acts like he isn't sick, when he is. He is not extravagant. He doesn't care at all about keeping up with the Jones's. He does a lot of wonderful things for people. He is generous and eager to provide and serve others. He is such a good man. I will miss falling asleep next to him while I am away.

That is what is on my mind.

love

3 comments:

Sarah said...

You are such a great mom! To ENJOY spending time with your toddler at 4:00 in the morning is just awesome. Sounds like your Joe is pretty awesome, too.

You'll have a lot to look forward to when you return from your trip!

Unknown said...

he was rubbing his brothers back? whoa...that part made me weep a bit. that is so darn precious.

and i was feeling your anxiety as i read through this. i have a friend at church who left her two boys for 2 1/2 weeks last summer when she went to Africa. she told me all the same things you just wrote about. when she got home, she told me she wouldnt have missed that opportunity for nothing...knowing one day - when her boys are older and are able to understand, what a witness this will be to them. she plans on taking them when theyre old enough.

Anonymous said...

so excited about your trip! can't wait to hear all the details about africa! so proud of you for going.